These simple tips will help maintain a consistent temperature in your home, while also reducing your energy consumption. What a great combination!
- Switching to Compact Fluorescent (CFL) bulbs can save a ton on energy. It can also save your home if you’re switching from halogen bulbs. Halogen bulbs can get hot enough to start a fire, so they’re dangerous and can create unwanted heat in your home.
- Check out Duke Energy Progress Residential Lighting Program to find discounted CFL bulbs.
- When purchasing CFL bulbs, make sure it is the correct size for your light fixture.
- Switch your top 5 light fixtures and/or bulbs to ENERGY STAR models.
- For your lamp shades, keep them light and sheer, it’ll allow for the most light to travel.
- Put lamps in the corner of rooms so the light can bounce off the walls. It will allow the light to travel further and reduce the need for more light fixtures.
- Be sure to turn off lights when you leave a room. Or install timers to automatically turn off while you’re away.
- Install high-performance windows. Double paned, double glazing, and coating, this will insulate the home, keep you from having to turn up the A/C or furnace.
- Put in solar window screens and films, this will reduce the amount of UV rays from into your home. It will keep your home cooler and protect your furniture, artwork, wood, etc., from the harmful UV rays.
- If you decide to upgrade to high performance windows, look for the National Fenestration Rating Council label so you know the window performance is certified.
- Install a reflective coating on your roof. It will reflect the heat off your roof and keep it from getting into your home.
- The reflective coating will also protect your roof from expanding and contracting. Save your roof and save on energy costs.
- And just like with all the other options, you can upgrade your roof to a more efficient one, but make sure to look for the ENERGY STAR model!
- This isn’t necessarily roofing, but installing insulation in your attic can help reduce the amount of heat entering/leaving your home.
Now those aren’t too difficult right? Making these small adjustments can really help long term. We may not be able to help you with all the energy reduction tips, but we can help with the insulation so just give us a call at 408-376-0406 or visit SupremeAir.net for more information!