Mold can be caused by a multitude of things.  First and foremost, the reason for our blog, is flooding in the home.  When a home floods, it’s best to get fans in the affected area within 24-48 hours of the flood.  That way, it can reduce the most amount of moisture build up.  Other causes of mold is condensation inside the home.  This can be caused by cold temperatures outside mixed with poor airflow inside.  This moisture can cause a slow buildup of mold.

The best way to prevent that kind of buildup is to address the airflow in your home.  Having a properly maintained HVAC system, or even better, an electronic air cleaner, can improve the air quality of your home and remove spores from the air.  But there are simpler ways to increase airflow:

  1. Easiest way, open doors and windows.  But if it’s cold outside, this might not be a viable option.
  2. Have exhaust fans in bathroom and kitchen.
  3. Run ceiling fans.
  4. Install an attic fan or whole house ventilation.

Now, why do we need to prevent mold buildup?  Simply, because it’s bad for our health and home.  Not all mold is bad, penicillin is a mold that we accidentally discovered that is used to treat many different illnesses.  But for the most part, it’s no fun to have mold in the home.  Here are some symptoms to be aware of, they can tell you that you might have mold growing in your home:

  • Wheezing
  • Coughing
  • Asthma

and in more serious conditions, pneumonia.  The Institute of Medicine conducted research in 2004 that found these symptoms were correlated enough with indoor dampness and thus identified it as a public health problem.

What if mold is already in your home?  Well, let’s go over how to get rid of it.  Bleach is the most industrial way to get rid of it, but if you don’t want that harsh chemical in your home, there are more natural options as well.   There are a couple recipes to follow, first:

  1. 1:2 ratio of hydrogen peroxide to water.  That means 1 cup of hydrogen peroxide for every 2 cups of water
  2. add 5-10 drops tea tree oil
  3. Mix, spray liberally on affected area, wait 1 hour, scrub
  4. Repeat step 3 if necessary
  5. Place fan on affected area to ensure thorough drying

Another recipe is:

  1. 1:1 ratio of vinegar and water
  2. add 15-20 drops tea tree oil
  3. Mix, spray liberally on affected area, wait 30 minutes, scrub
  4. Repeat step 3 if necessary
  5. Dry thoroughly

For tile areas:

  1. 6:1 ratio of water to bleach
  2. 1 tbsp of Borax
  3. Mix, spray on affected area, wipe up immediately with clean cloth
  4. Rinse with water
  5. Dry thoroughly

Mold is no joke, it’s a serious problem in the home, so it’s best to catch the problem early and treat it as effectively as possible.  If the mold is toxic, it’d be best to leave it to the pros.

For future blog posts about indoor air quality, HVAC systems, energy conservation, and so much more, follow us on Twitter and like our page on Facebook.  And if ever you’re in need of any heating or cooling systems, visit our page at www.supremeair.net or give us a call at 408-376-0406!

Advertisements